Difficulty: * | ***
Preparation time: 15mins + 5 days of resting
It’s been elderflower blooming season not long ago and since we live in a green area right next to a national park (with tons of Elderflower trees) one day my mom and me thought that it would be neat to make our own syrup this year…. So we did! In this post I’ll give you our yummy recipe along with a step-by-step photo guide. 🙂
- 2l Water
- 2kg White Sugar
- 2 sliced Lemons
- 2 sliced Oranges (we used 4 lemons)
- 25 Elderflower Blossoms (umbels)
- 40g citric acid
- Go and pick the blossoms, then at home, divide them from their stalks.
- Mix water and sugar in a big pot and let it boil until well blended – then take it off the stove and let it cool off.
- Later add the Oranges/Lemons and the blossoms to the mixture and stir.
- Cover the pot and put it somewhere chilly, in the cellar for example, then let it sit for 4-5 days.
- After that, filter the syrup and fill it in bottles – close them well!
- Store the syrup in the fridge or cellar.